Greenman, Goldberg, Raby and Martinez, the premier auto accident law firm in Las Vegas, has seen the horrific consequences of distracted driving accidents up-close – and is eager to prevent other Las Vegas drivers from going down the same tragic road.
Cut no corners on defining a distraction
The auto accident law firm of GGRM believes drivers should understand what constitutes a distraction; then it should be simpler to eliminate each one.
Distracted driving is defined as “any activity that could divert a person’s attention away from the primary task of driving” and thus endanger the safety of the driver, passengers, pedestrians and other drivers.
The most common in-vehicle distractions include:
- A cell phone or smart-phone
- A navigation system
- Reading, including maps
- Eating and drinking
- Watching a video
- Adjusting a radio, CD player or MP3 player
- Tending to active occupants (especially children and pets)
- Tending to loose or fallen objects
For everyone who thinks they are gifted multi-taskers or that texting “takes no time at all,” GGRM wants drivers to consider: Even if your eyes are off the road for five seconds, that’s still long enough for a vehicle to cover the length of a football field at 55 mph. Like drinking and driving, texting and driving can be a deadly cocktail.
The GGRM team endorses tips to avoid distracted driving from the Governors Highway Safety Association and other transportation safety groups. These safety tips include:
- Turn off your cell phone or switch it to silent before moving your car out of park. Then stow your phone out of your reach.
- Record a message on your phone announcing you’re driving and will return their call when it’s safe for you to do so.
- If you must get in touch with someone while driving, pull over to a safe place to make a call or ask a passenger to make the call for you.
- Enter your destination in your GPS before you depart and review the directions in advance.
- Refrain from eating, drinking, grooming, and scrounging around for tapes or CDs or any other activity that forces you to take your eyes off the road.
- Secure children and pets. If they act up while you’re driving, pull over so you can quell the disturbance and give the situation your undivided attention.
- Secure groceries, briefcases, papers and other objects that may topple over and distract you while driving.
Auto accident law firm in Las Vegas
You could be the most conscientious, focused driver in the southwest and, through no fault of your own, be involved in an accident with a distracted driver. This is when you can count on Greenman, Goldberg, Raby and Martinez – the most experienced auto accident law firm in Las Vegas – to represent your best interests.
Remember that no question about an accident, liability or insurance is “too small” because looking out for your safety and well being is this team’s guiding rule of the road — and the focus of all their efforts. Call 702-388-4476 for a free consultation today.