If you have been involved in a pedestrian accident, you may not consider hiring a pedestrian accident attorney immediately. After all, most people would consider getting medical attention to be the most important task at the time. However, getting legal aid is as important as getting medical help. If you are not careful, not only could you forfeit appropriate compensation but you could also be charged with contributory negligence.
Here are a few ways in which a pedestrian accident attorney can help you:
- There are two kinds of pedestrian accidents: vehicular and non-vehicular. The latter involve pedestrians getting hurt on sidewalks and other public places. In each case, to be entitled to compensation, the pedestrian must have exercised ‘proper care’ to avoid the accident. If this ‘proper care’ tenet is not established, you may in fact be considered liable for your own injuries. A pedestrian accident attorney knows how to investigate the case, get all the relevant facts in order, and then deduce the extent of liability accurately.
- Las Vegas is cited to be one of the cities with the highest number of pedestrian accidents on highways. In such accidents, more so than other kinds of pedestrian accidents, risk of brain damage, spinal injury, and complete incapacitation is very high. It is important, therefore, to understand the repercussions of the accident properly. For example, a fracture may lead to a three month long expensive and painful rehabilitation period. A pedestrian accident attorney will help you arrive at compensation that justifiably takes into account all these factors.
- In case of non-vehicular pedestrian accidents, it is often difficult to establish negligence. A pedestrian accident attorney, however, can study details of the accident and identify aspects of the case where negligence is evident. The attorney can then draw up an impactful claim.
What Can You Do To Make the Best Use Of A Pedestrian Accident Attorney?
Although a good Las Vegas pedestrian accident attorney can help you get the compensation you deserve, there are a few things you can do to improve your chances.
- Do not delay in calling the police and contacting your attorney.
- Try and get all relevant details such as names and phone numbers of eye-witnesses, license plate number of the vehicle involved in the accident, note down the exact time of the accident, etc.
- Remain at the scene of the accident until the police and help arrive.
- Do not make any statements to anyone before consulting your attorney. It is advisable to not talk to drivers or insurers without legal consultation.
Timely contact with a pedestrian accident attorney in Las Vegas is not just important, it is imperative. To find out what your rights are in the case of a pedestrian accident, call for a free consultation at 702-388-GGRM (4476).